Sunday 27 September 2015

A visit to the marae by Emma and Rayah

As I went into the wharenui I was amazed! I saw lots of tukutuku patterns. I had to sit on the carpet until we had morning tea. When we were ready we listened to all the Maori people's speeches. After some of the speeches we did a waiata. Then we did some more speeches and the student councillors did the hongi.After that we had food in the wharekai. Later on we went outside to get a photo taken. Soon we said our mihi and then we went back to school. By Emma.
As I went into the wharenui I was amazed because of all the patterns and when I first looked up I saw a lot of koru patterns, they looked wonderful! There were thousands of them. When I felt the carvings on the walls the wood felt hard and some patterns were made from weaving. When we sat down a Maori man stood up and made a speech and then the women sang a waiata. It was lovely. Then awhile later we sang our waiata. After that we went into the wharekai and ate a lovely morning tea. After morning tea we went and had our photo taken and then we went back to the wharenui and said our mihi in our groups and then we went on the bus. By Rayah

No comments:

Post a Comment